Wednesday 19 December 2012

Queen Charlotte Sounds Walkway


Weka stole my lunch!





As I had a few days to spare after arriving in Picton, before my ferry booking to Wellington. I walked the Queen Charlotte Walkway. Many thanks to Cougar Lines who sponsored me by providing a 50% discount on the boat trip. The Walkway is 71km long and I took the Cougar Line boat to Ships Cove to start the walk and they ferried my pack on each day and then collected me at the end from Anakiwa and took me back to Picton.

I really enjoyed the 3 day walk. The views on both sides are fabulous, the gradients are not too steep and as most of the walk is under the bush canopy, it wasn't too hot. While eating lunch on the first day I put my sandwich down on the seat alongside me and a couple of cheeky Weka stole it while I wasn't looking. This is not the first time I have been mugged by birds!  That night Weka also dragged my toilet bag away from my tent, possibly trying to get at the fish oil tablets inside.

Kaia, a German girl was also walking the track at the same time as me and we met up both evenings and discussed the days walk. I also met a Christchurch couple on the second and third days. Although I stayed at DOC campsites both nights, there are other accommodation options. Several hotels are situated along the track.

I took the opportunity to look around the Outward Bound School at Anakiwa while waiting for the boat back to Picton. I have always been interested in Outward Bound and the leadership and confidence building courses they provide so it was great to see the place and look around.

I am now back in Hamilton for 3 weeks and will start the North Island leg of the walk on 10th January. I wish you all a very Happy Xmas and may 2013 be good to you.








4 comments:

Icy said...

Congratulations on finishing two islands! What a fantastic journey so far. Let's see how the North Island treats you (I hope it is just as well as the South Island)

Anonymous said...

This seems a lot easier
Cheers Chris

Mac said...

`Living the dream`, that's what I'd say if someone asked me what yo're doing. Of course, it's not everybody's dream; but in a way it is.
Not everybody wants to walk 25km a day with a pack, but almost everyone wants freedom. Not everybody wants to sleep in a tent, but many long for a goodnight's sleep.
Few would want to base their diet on a limited menu, but many would love to enjoy a meal as much as you do (and as I did! haha).
Not everyone would travel alone, but everybody loves making new friends!
Only some have the patience to walk around points, bays and coves, but almost everybody wants to slow down.
Everybody wants to live the dream, but just a few are brave enough to do it.
You are one of them, and an inspiration to me and many `silent` others.
To many more Kms under those feet!

Abrazo grande mi amigo! and a great "twenty-thirteen"!

Alan

Eric Diamond said...

Thanks to Icy, Chris and Alan for the comments. Nice to know that you are able to post comments again. Alan
that's a very in depth comment you make. Thanks for all your kind words, You make me feel that what i'm doing is worthwhile.