Tuesday 11 December 2012

Done it - South Island

I had celebratory dinner last night to mark the completion of my walk of the South Island.  But that is getting ahead of myself.

On Saturday 8th December after 4 nights in Blenheim I walked to Rarangi Beach. On the way out of Blenheim I came across an outdoors market, those of you who know me will also know that I couldn't resist stopping and checking for bargains. I found a few too, but due to weight constraints had to leave most of them behind, although I did buy a couple of small items.

The first 10km were on SHI and then 10km down side roads to the beach. Was offered two lifts on the way, once by a farmer. Then just short of my destination Joe & Steph, a pleasant young couple, stopped and were disappointed that I didn't want a ride. They were interested to know where I was going and what I was doing. They asked lots of questions and gave me strawberries and a book to read.

It started to rain just before I got to the DOC campsite but stopped as I was putting up my tent. Later Pam who looks after 12 DOC campsites called around. She couldn't find my camp fee envelope even though I had posted it in the correct slot. After much poking with a stick and posting other objects through the slot my envelope finally fell out. I had started to think that Pam thought I was lying about paying. She gave me a ride up the hill above the camp so that I could see if the road or  the track was the better option the following day.

Next day I walked up the scenic track to Whites Bay and called in at Pam's cottage for a cup of tea. She thought she knew someone looking for workers but several phone calls later it turned out her friend had filled his quota of vineyard workers.  Only walked a total of 10km that day, to Robinhood Bay. Set up in another DOC campsite and had a sociable night with Max a German travelling on his own, Marco & Sandie another German couple, Dave a Kiwi tour guide and another couple who's name I have forgotten. A nice evening drinking wine and beer swapping travel stories was had by all.

Marco & Sandie were travelling in the same direction as me the next day and agreed to take on my pack on. As I wasn't sure of where I would get to that night, we arranged that I would set off walking early and would get my pack once they caught me up. I was away at 6.25am and had walked 12.5km up the road and past several bays by the time they caught me up at 8.50am. A quick thanks and farewell and they were off to catch the ferry to Wellington. Helped again by strangers.

Another 2.5 km up the road I found a sign advertising backpackers and camping. All the beds were taken by a forestry gang but Sandra offered me a tent site  free of charge. It was still morning but 28c were forecasts and it was already quite hot so I was grateful for a place to camp. A gold coin bought me a welcome shower. I had been told that Sandra cooked a good evening meal and this proved to be the case. $10 bought me soup and toast, roast lamb & vege, cheesecake & fruit. She also had a spare packed lunch and gave me that. I was also able to help myself to toast for breakfast. The bargain of the century.

Sandra's husband Ray works at Queen Charlotte College in Picton as the International Student Coordinator and yesterday morning he brought my pack into town with him.  I walked the 15km into Picton, 4km uphill and the rest downhill along a tar sealed road that showed the signs of the high temperature the day before. I collected my pack from the school and arranged with Ray that I would return this morning to talk to a group of 11 year olds about my walk.

After booking into the Atlantis Backpackers and having a shower I walked the few metres to the ferry terminal to complete my walk of the South Island. It seems surreal that I have now finished this part of the journey. Total walked since I started is 1735km.

This morning I gave a 50minute talk to 36 11 year olds. I was pleasantly surprised how many insightful questions were asked. Thanks to their teacher Dave who has loaned me his laptop to update this blog.

Thanks to Cougar Cruises who have offered me a 50% discount off the cost of the boat trip out to the start of the Queen Charlotte Sounds walk tomorrow. I will take 3 days and two nights to do the walk and they will take my pack on each day. Next Tuesday I take the ferry to Wellington and then fly back to Hamilton for 3 weeks recuperation over Xmas and New Year.






1 comment:

Icy said...

Congratulations Eric! You've done two islands now (yes, I'm including Stewart island)! The blessings of strangers has been such a relief for me. As a sideline supporter, i always hope that you are well and safe everyday. The posts have been a good read. Bring on the North Island! Enjoy your walk of Queen Charlotte Sounds.