Monday 17 September 2012

Trains & Boats & Feet


We added these glasses to this statue of Gandhi outside the Wellington Railway Station. I think they suit him!
Christchurch Cathedral. It is to be demolished due to earthquake damage.


Snowing at Arthurs Pass.


One Street which has survived the earthquake and is to be reopened by Xmas.

This is the point I left the walk in April and my restart point.
Charissa & I left Hamilton on 6th Sept on the Northern Explorer train, this replaces the Overlander, and has new carriages with large windows.Spent two days in windy Wellington and on 8th we took the ferry to Picton, South Island. When we left our hotel in Wellington the wind was so strong that I found it difficult to make headway against the wind and was nearly blown backwards despite having my backpack on and carrying a large bag. Despite this the crossing was not too bad, although we did strike one rough spot which had numerous people reaching (pun intended) for the sick bag!  On arrival in Picton we transferred to the Coastal Pacific train which took us to Christchurch. The train route took us past numerous places where I will be walking. Stayed in a backpackers which is the old Addington Jail. So we spent the night in a cell!

The following day we were up early to catch the Tranz Alpine to Greymouth. This was the most scenic train trip of all and well worth doing. We passed numerous snow covered mountains and it was snowing at Arthurs Pass where we were able to get off the train for 5 minutes. On arrival in Greymouth we walked to our accommodation the Duke Backpackers where we were upgraded to an en suit room Our host made us feel really welcome. I went for a short walk but it started to rain and while I had a raincoat my jeans were saturated in no time at all. The next day we caught the Tranz Alpine back to Christchurch where we stayed at the Jailhouse Backpackers again.

While in Christchurch we did a bus tour of the red zone where most of the buildings are being demolished due to the earthquake. It was interesting to see but also sad to see. We spent the last day at the Antarctica Centre before I farewelled Charissa who flew back to Hamilton.

I spent two more days in Christchurch staying with ex work colleagues Karla and Troy. A huge thanks to Neville and his staff at MAP WORLD in Christchurch who have provided me with 50% off maps. As I have found the 1:50,000 series the most helpful I was greedy and purchased 50 of those. These will last me to north of Auckland.

On Friday 14th Sept I left Christchurch on an LIC truck and was dropped at Raikaia from where I hitchhiked to Timaru. Since then I have been staying at the Wanderer Backpacker and instead of paying I am doing cleaning duties. I had intended to start walking on Saturday but due to the weather I didn't start until the next day. After doing my cleaning chores I hitchhiked to Hooks Beach and the point where I finished up in April. As luck would have it there was a couple in their van and so I able to get a photo taken as I restarted my journey north. They also gave me advise regarding the what I would see further up the beach.These were the only people I saw until I had nearly finished walking for the day. 

A good walk up the beach saw lost of terns and numerous nests although no eggs yet. Also saw a baby seal which took off into the surf at my approach. Was annoyed with myself that I had left my map behind and this resulted in me walking past my destination of St Andrews to Pareora, another 4 km up the road. Total distance walked on beach was 19km with another 7km walked getting to and fro.

The following day it took me 1.5 hours to get a ride back to Pareora so it was noon before I started walking. After an hour of walking I spoke to Paul who was sitting in his car having lunch and he gave me directions to a track leading to a lighthouse further up the coast. When I later found the track it was initially through gorse and at one stage I tripped on a root and fell flat on my face, luckily avoiding the gorse. Just before I got to the lighthouse the wind started to blow strongly. It was blowing so strongly that I had difficulty putting my jersey on because it was flapping around so much I needed two hands to hold onto it. I had the same problem putting my wet weather gear on. When I did finally get it all on it started to rain. I walked in the rain on the beach  for awhile then found Hectors Coastal Track which took me into Timaru in light rain and heavy wind at my back. I walked to the harbour entrance but when I turned to return the way I had come the wind was in my face and each drop stung like hail. Walked about 25km but only 16 km of it up the coast.

My walk has now officially reached Timaru. I am having a rest day today and tomorrow will head for the Rangitata river and the camping ground near the beach. This will be my first time back in my tent.

Thanks to those of you who have placed comments on this blog and welcome to the four new followers since I last signed in. Recently Charissa designed business cards for me and I have been handing these out to anyone who seems remotely interested in what I am doing.

I am not sure when I will next get the opportunity to post another blog so don't panic if it's a couple of weeks before I get to  computer.


1 comment:

Icy said...

Go Eric! These blogs are a good read and am very excited to the next installment!