Monday 24 September 2012

Ashburton - Wet Feet

I haven't got long on this PC so will keep this short. I am now at Hakatere on the coast out from Ashburton.

When I started this walk I had no support crew but by the time I'm finished I will have had thousands! I have been blown away by the helpfulness of people I have met. Cups of tea, rides to start of walks, camp fees waived, meals given, use of showers etc.

Before leaving Timaru I was interviewed by the Courier a local give away paper and that article should be published this Thursday.  Left Timaru on Wednesday 19th Sept via Hectors Coastal Path for a short way then clambered around rocks below a large factory (Abatoir?) and then past some Whitebaiters. Not close enough to talk to. Then walked beside Washdyke Lagoon and up the beach for the rest of the day. At the Opihi River I was lucky enough to get a boat ride over the river by a whitebaiter. I then had to wade up to my knees over a tidal lagoon to get to Milford Huts, a collection of Whitebaiters huts and caravans. I camped there the night after walking about 15km for the day.

Next morning when I recrossed the lagoon it was above my waist and I completely forgot that I had my phone in my jacket pocket. Result was one useless phone. I was very annoyed with myself as I do have a wet bag but didn't use it. Later in morning I crossed the Orari river and had to walk half a km upstream to find a suitable place to cross. Most of the day it was a hard slog up the beach over pebbles. Your feet sink in at each step and you loose momentum. I was walking 20minutes with a 10 minute break. I have struggled with the heavy pack. This was another 15 km day and I arrived at the Rangitata South Motor Camp. There was no sign of life so I set my tent up. A couple of hours later the manager Collin and his wife Margaret arrived back from town. Collin unlocked the kitchen, laundry and the ladies loo and showers as the men's is being repainted. Collins comment was that I was the only one staying but if I did meet a lady in the shower "then the best of luck to you". Collin waived payment in view of my walking and even gave me coins to operate the showers.

The following day, Friday, I got a ride into Ashburton with Denise, a neighbour of the camp. I replaced my phone and bought a few supplies. Prior to going into town I took a walk up river and identified a place about 4km upstream to cross the following day. I had heard mixed opinions as if it was crossable or not. I marked the spot and returned tot he camp.

On Saturday morning Collin & Margaret had a couple of long term camp users arriving to set their caravans up for the season. It is customary for Collin to cook them breakfast on the first morning and I was invited to join them. Bacon, sausage, mushroom & eggs replaced my usual porridge. I declined the offer of rum though as I needed a clear head for crossing the river.

I didn't leave until about 11am and while I found the general area I had crossed the day before I couldn't find my markers. I did however find an even better place to cross. Once over the river I climbed a bank and walked over farmland to the Rangitata North Motor Camp. I only walked about 8km for the day and was only about 2km north of the previous camp. This a great camp with large tree hedges dividing the camp and giving great shelter. I spent the afternoon laying in the sun reading. The manager of the camp Ron also refused payment.

On Sunday it was another hard slog up the beach to just past the Hind River where I camped under a couple of large pine trees. On the way I met Rene & Karena who were parked beside the beach with their caravan. They provided me with a welcome cuppa and a muffin. Later I also stopped to speak with Martin a local farmer who had brought his two sons to the beach for a picnic. Thes were the only people I spoke to for 2 days.

Yesterday I left my campsite about 8.15am and arrived at Hakatere about 2pm after walking up the beach and then about half a km up the Ashburton River. There is only a toilet at this location but the camp caretaker Carol more than makes up for the lack of facilities. On arrival she gave me 4 eggs from her hens. allowed me to use her shower and invited me in to watch TV and organised a my ride into Ashburton today. Neil her husband works at a local cattle lot. I didn't even know we had those in NZ.

Was interviewed by The Ashburton Guadian, a local daily paper, yesterday but nothing in todays paper.

No photos this time as I've forgotten to bring the cord to connect to PC. Apart form a number of lone seals there has not been much else of note to report on of recent days.
Not sure what I will do tomorrow as it is due to rain.


Looking back towards Timaru

I was given a ride across the Opihi River in a whitbaiters boat. Whitbaiters line the opposite bank.

Paddock gate near Hakatere. The farmer used to have Buffalo.

Tent set up at Hakatere with the Ashburton River in the background.

1 comment:

Icy said...

An article about Eric in the Ashburton Guardian: http://www.ashburtonguardian.co.nz/news/todays-news/8603-beachwalker-takes-the-coastal-route.html