Monday 9 January 2012

On The Road Again

I am pleased to report that my back is now fully recovered and I have resumed the walk.

Spent 3 weeks of  R&R in Dunedin with Charissa. We booked a self contained unit, at Portobello on the Otago Peninsula, belonging to Bill & Orma Blackler, they were fantastic landlords and looked after us really well. Did most of the usuual tourist things, Albatross Colony, seals at Shag Point, Cadbury Chocolate Factory, Speights Brewery, Worlds Steepest Street, also visited Oamaru and Port Chalmers.

I'm also pleased to say that I put back on the 7kgs I lost on Stewart Island. Naomi and Chunky returned me to Curio Bay (the last point I walked to) on Friday 7th January. That night we saw several of the Yellow Eyed Penguins as they returned to their nests at dusk. Next day I recommenced my walk sans large pack as Naomi and Chunky picked me up at the end of the day and returned me to Curio Bay again. As I left Curio Bay I walked along the beach at Porpoise Bay and was enthralled for 30 minutes by a group of 20 or so Dolphins playing in the surf, jumping out of the water and surfing in on the waves, one of the most pleasurable experiences of my walk so far. As I passed through Waikawa I spoke to some people manning a Fire Control Centre and was surprised to learn that there were 5 out of control fires in the area caused by controlled burn offs in the area several months previously which had suddenly sprung to live again in the peat soils, I saw no sign of the fires myself. It did reinforce for me how dry my trip has been so far compared with those in the northern parts of NZ who have had lots of rain. Nothing much else of note that day. I walked 32km and was well pleased with the days progress without my large pack.

The next day Naomi and Chunky drove me to Papatowai where I booked into the camping grounds and set my tent up. They then returned me to my finishing point of the day before so this was my second day without the pack. Just as I was about to start I realised that I had left Pak N Save (my stick which had been with me since Stewart Island) at Curio Bay. Chunky offered to return to Curio Bay to collect it but I said it wasn't worth the expense and time for what is just a stick. Later while eating my lunch just off the road I saw there car head back to Papatowai and realised they had in fact returned to Curio Bay found my stick and placed it in my tent. I was very grateful but also felt guilty as they had travelled 106 km out of their way for a stick!!
Only walked 11 km of my route that day but also did some side tracks and a small length of beach where the largest sea lion I have seen to date rushed at me as I had obviously intruded into his comfort zone, as I am now well used to seeing them I continued walking but got ready to run if he had intruded into MY comfort zone.
Found a good axe laying on the side of the road and propped it against a road marker so hopefully somebody has found it by now. When I arrived at my tent I found not only my stick but a selection of edible treats!

That night I spoke with some other campers in house buses (Robert & Roz, Garnet & Marlene) and learnt that they were heading to Owaka the next day which was also my destination and they readily agreed to take my pack. This means that I have now walked 3 days without the pack. This may not sound like much but is a major boon to me. They also replaced my tatty map with one not only in better condition but also showing more detail. Yesterday I walked 26km form Papatowai to Owaka mostly along back roads but the first part along a beautiful sandy beach  which was really quite spectacular. Saw one more sea lion. My route took me past Purakaunui Falls, otherwise known as the wedding cake falls and seen on numerous calendars and postcards etc. I took the short track in and while I was pleased to see it there was not a lot of water due to Southland having it's driest summer for over 50 years. Arrived at the camp, which is also a Youth Hostel and former Maternity Hospital and collected my pack and set my tent up.

There is a very good small Museum here in Owaka which doubles as an Information Centre and local Library.
The receptionist has provided me with the names and ph numbers, from the councils mapping system,of 4 local farmers who's land I hope to cross in order to get to Nugget Point without taking the long way around via roads.

Today I am having a quite day, I will try hitchhiking to Jacks Blowhole a natural feature where the sea surges through caves someway inland. As this is to the south of where I am and not on my route I feel hitchhiking rather than walking is legitimate.

Finally thanks to all those of you who have placed comments on my blogs, I really do appreciate receiving them and knowing that you are actively following my progress.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,
So pleased to hear your back has come right. You will have to be like Jack Reacher and just carry a toothbrush.
Good Luck
Kind Regards
Beverly & Chris

Dee said...

Hi Eric, Glad to hear you are feeling better and back on the road. You're living the dream! Look forward to your next post
Deidre

Marise Eiff said...

Hi Eric,

So nice to read your adventures. You have been to the same places as we have after we left you on Stewart Island. Only we didn't see dolphins. We did see pinguins as well as you did. I liked that very much!! I am pleased to hear that you got you walking stick back. Thanks to your blog our NZ adventure gets an extra dimension.
Good luck and we look forward to your next update.

Marise and Koos (the Netherlands)

Icy said...

Good read, Eric. I'm slightly envious by the sights you have seen, they sound amazing! Take more pictures!! Be a good walker and tourist!

hmartin@lic.co.nz said...

Hi Eric,
So where the hell are ya? (as they would say in Aussie)dumb ad. Awesome saga you 're living - bit like Young and restless - cliff hanging stuff. You know me - gotta be smart somehow. Everytime I read about the beaches etc all I can think off is the seafood you're walking straight pass - kinas and pauas - use to get a lot of pauas from Papatowai years ago. Keep going and will anxiously wait for the next blog.

nevritchie@xtra.co.nz said...

Hi Eric

Great to hear your back is sorted, you had a great break in Dunedin (my home town) and you are walking again. You certainly have been getting the good weather too. Its been crap up north. Looking forward to hearing more about your great adventure. Cheers Nev