Friday 5 October 2012

Here I am Banks Peninsula

Looking back towards Birdling Flat and Kaitorete Spit.

Looking towards Akaroa form Bossu Rd.

Have been on Banks Peninsula for 3 days and have only seen the Bank of New Zealand so far!

I left Ian Robertsons Gallery in Birdlings Flat on Tuesday morning and crossed the causeway across Lake Forsyth. It was a slow and steady climb most of the morning up Bossu Rd. This is a remote metal road and  I saw a total of 3 cars all day until just before I camped. Had great panoramic vistas most of the day looking back along the coast and then later out over Akaroa. Camped alongside the road, having walked about 14km, on the only flat piece of ground I could find. About 5pm the wind started to blow and blew all night. I got very little sleep as the sound of the tent flapping in the breeze kept me awake.

On Wednesday it was too windy for my stove so I had cheese and crackers for breakfast. I set off again at 7.30am, initially uphill, along Bossu Rd and then finally downhill. I didn't see anyone until 10.30am when I stopped to speak to a couple of young shepherds and they took my pack about 1km down the road to some sheep yards. Finally reached the coast at Wainui and set up my tent in a reserve with a toilet block on the water front after another 14km day.

It started raining about 5.30am on Thursday but had stopped by 6.45am when I got up. Got away about 8.30am and walked on roads again all day.  Saw much more traffic today. After a couple of hours I reached State Highway 75 the main road from Christchurch to Akaroa.Apart from a couple of diversions down side roads I walked most of the way alongside the main road. Arrived in Akaroa about 3.30pm after a 21km day. I booked into the comparative luxury of a backpackers for 3 nights and shouted myself a pub meal. Yesterday I had a lazy day mostly sitting and reading and will be doing the same again today.

Tomorrow I leave and head for Hickory Bay and Le Bons Bay the following day.

Have tried to upload photos to this blog but I am using a PC in the Akaroa Library and the system wont allow me to add photos.

09/10/12
Update to the above. I am still in Akaroa waiting for the weather to improve and hope to get away tomorrow. It has been raining on and off for the past few days with cloud (and snow) down to low levels. I have been holed in a backpackers reading and resting.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did you start your travels again? Take Care! Chris and Bev

Eric Diamond said...

Hi Guys, I hit the trail again in mid September. Your comment has only just come through to blog as I have just found it in the spam box! I understand that for some reason it is not easy to place a comment on this blog. Unfortunately I am not skilled enough to know why or to fix the problem. I do appreciate receiving comments and would welcome more so I am just as frustrated as those trying to place comments. Cheers Eric

Anonymous said...

We have found using the Anonymous profile is the best to leave a message without having to go through stupid security sessions to post! However it does sound that your own security settings put anonymous into your Spam folder which you could get round by accepting anonymous as a user?
Cheers Chris

Eric Diamond said...

Hi guys, Dont want to accept anonymous as a user as getting a few spam comments which also come up as anonymous. Thanks for your support and I'll be in Napier as soon as I can.!