Saturday 5 November 2011

Unemployed and Homeless

Friday we moved out of the house, a long busy day getting Marilyn shifted into her new home.
When I called into the supermarket afterwards the checkout girl asked me if I'd had a good day, to which I said it had been busy. She said "you'll pleased to get home then", yes I said I would  but no longer had a home to go to. She didn't know what to say to that. I'm now officially unemployed and homeless.  Have also made the final delivery to my storage facility.

A big thanks to Brian Grahams-Smith from Creative Signs Solutions in Hamilton for the donation of "wherespoppy" flags, they have made a brilliant job of them  I requested 2 and got given 10, so will be able to give some away to supporters. I will put one on my pack and one on my tent.

My daughter Naomi challenged me to shave off my beard and then let it grow and not trim it until I finish the walk, I have today shaved my beard but will reserve the decision about whether to trim or not until later.

I have a couple of photos to add to this blog at some stage but because I am on a strange computer with nobody around to help will post them later. One photo is of my mother (who is in a rest home in UK ) holding up a "wherespoppy"  sign the other photo is of my granddaughter who made a wherespoppy sign out of shells on the beach. As I've said I will post these later but in the meantime I'd like to challenge everyone to see who can either get a photo of someone famous to  hold up a "wherespoppy" sign or take a photo of a "wherespoppy" sign in an unusual location.

Tomorrow morning I fly to Invercargill, cross over to Stewart Island on Tuesday and start a 3 week tramp on Wednesday.  I'm surprising myself about how relaxed I am about starting this new adventure. still very much looking forward to it though.

2 comments:

Icy said...

Hey Eric, Good luck on your trip, don't talk to the wildlife! A) They are strangers that don't come with lollies and B) they are unusual birds, they are! (So I've heard!) You look different without the beard, but if all else fails, I am happy to send you a pack of beads so you can braid your beard, it will give you something to do on those rowdy nights in the tent. I will get a picture together for you with the ladies from work and send it to you soon (e-mail, not pigeon post).

Eric said...

Thanks for your concerns Icy, as I understand it all the birds on Stewart Isalnd are Kiwi's so I should be safe. Look forward to the beads and the photos.