Sunday 6 November 2011

Start Of The Journey

The journey has finally started. Thanks to Mike and Christine who put me up for the weekend and to Mike who got up at 4.45am so that he could get his chores done before he took me to the airport. Charissa came to see me off at the airport and we both got a bit emotional saying goodbye.

I had 3 uneventful flights leaving Hamilton at 7am and arriving in Invercargill about 1.45pm.The only thing of note during the journey was a verbal spat with the operator of a cafe in Wellington Airport who don't provide water apart from the bottled variety available at $4 a bottle.

Was met at Invercargill Airport by Nicole Wright a friend of my daughter who took me to a couple of outdoor shops so that I could purchase a couple of things we then picked 5 year old Tobi up from school and then to her home. Walked back into town and purchased food supplies for the next 3 weeks on Stewart Island and Tobi then helped me to cram them into my already full pack. I will be wearing a small front pack for a few days until the supplies start getting used up. Later met Nicole's husband Shawn. They have all been very hospitable and happy to assist me in any way. I would call it southern hospitality except they are originally from Rotorua.

Tomorrow I cross over to Stewart Island on the ferry and commence walking the day after, the same day that rain is predicted. It is unlikely that I will be able to post any more on this blog until 28th November. Talk to you all then.

4 comments:

Icy said...

Aaah, sounds like you have your "feeding bag" (front pack) all sorted.
Good luck, Gandalf-to-be!

Anonymous said...

Hi ERic and GOOD LUCK, sorry missed the off been busy over here preparing for a fund raising event which happens tomorrow (sun 13th) by now you are already foot sore, back aching and wondering what the hell you started walk for in first place, only a few thousand miles to go, crack on, DIAMONDS are FOREVER all the best Dennis

Anonymous said...

Where the 'bloody hell are ya'

Chris and Bev

Icy said...

I got a quick text message from Eric: He managed to find a wee hill and get some reception. He is still in one piece although he did say he is a bit cold. So, fear not: Stewart Island has it's own walking Snowman! Aaaw, cute!