Friday 2 March 2012

At Last - Photos


                                                     My granddaughter Kaylah.


       Oban Stewart Island - Starting point for 3 weeks of tramping.

                                  Seal on Stewart Island

  My first night in my tent on Stewart Island. I only used my tent twice on the Island as I mostly used DOC huts.

 Mt Anglem, Stewart Island, 980m. Snow had fallen a few days previously.

                Deer in front of one of the huts on Stewart Island.

  Stewart Island Kiwi have evolved to come out during the day unlike their mainland cousins who are nocturnal. When meeting other trampers, one of the first questions was "have you seen any kiwi today?" I saw 5, heard many more walking through the undergrowth but only managed to take one photo.

 One of the DOC huts on Stewart Island, I spent two nights here on my own.

 Inside of the above hut, showing the clean but basic facilities. This was an eight bunk hut, others were as small as 6 bunk or as big as 24 bunks. The long drop toilet for this hut was up a steep hill with 50 steps (yes I counted).

 Stewart Island Robin on Ulva Island, less than 200 of these exist.

 Sterling Point, Bluff South Island, the starting point of State Highway One and start of my long trek north.

            Giving a talk at Waverly Park School Invercargill.

 Bill Richardsons Truck Museum, Invercargill. Home to over 200 vintage trucks.

                    Looking across to Bluff from Tiwai Point.
My pack can be seen on the left with Mitch my mascot holding onto my wherespoppy logo which also helps as a warning sign to traffic when walking on roads.
 Mataura River, this river is lined with hundreds of whitbaiters huts on both sides of the river.


          Waipapa Point Lighthouse with a sea lion on the beach. I saw many sea lions from here north.
          Slope Point, southernmost point of the South Island. An uninspiring spot!

               Taieri Point Railway, Chunky acting the goat.

     Moeraki Boulders. Haven't walked this far north yet but visited here during my Xmas break.

              Baldwin St Dunedin, steepest street in the world.

                          Yellow eyed penguin, Curio Bay.

                 
The Chasm & Lovers Leap Otago Peninsula.

                     Sea Lions, Surrat Bay, Catlins


YHA Hostel & Motor Camp Catlins.
Stayed here for 4 nights and later returned and looked after it for 2 weeks while the owners went away.



My Friend Jan who I walked with for 4 days on Stewart Island. The next 4 photos were taken by Jan on Stewart Island.
             

Mud, glorious mud. Note front pack and back pack. Front pack was used to carry provisions sufficient for 3 weeks.






Nugget Point, Catlins. One of my favorite places so far.


3 comments:

Icy said...

Great to see some photos of your journey so far!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Eric

Take Care
Chris

Eric Diamond said...

Hi Chris, thanks for posting the comment. Hope to post more photos soon. Cheers
Eric