Monday 10 October 2011

(Gaining) FAME & (Costing a) FORTUNE

British comedian Griff Rhys Jones (of Alas Smith & Jones fame) happily posed for a photo with a sign showing the name of my walk while staying at Kings House Hotel in Scotland where my daughter Naomi works.

Meanwhile back in NZ I have been gradually getting my kit together, have now purchased 99% of my gear and am pleasantly surprised to find that by concentrating on lightweight equipment my pack only weighs 14 kg, to that I need to add about another 1kg and then food on top of that. A lot less than the 25kg I had originally thought I would have on my back. Thanks to Kirsty from Bivouac in Hamilton for her help and patience in assisting me with selecting the right equipment and for the discount for bulk buying. Only major piece of equipment I now need to buy is a Personal Locator Beacon, at $700 each I am still evaluating if I need it or not. Total spent on equipment and clothing etc so far is $2,300.

Have now decided to spend 3 weeks tramping in Stewart Island before setting off from Bluff. Will purchase
dehydrated food and gas containers for Stewart Island once I arrive in Invercargill in less than a months time.

6 comments:

Icy said...

Good on Naomi for advertising on your behalf, Squeak! I bet you are counting down the days for the big quest. Question: will you have a wand like Gandalf? *giggles*

Anonymous said...

Thanks Icy for your comment, yes Naomi is 100% behind my venture. Who says I'm counting the 21 days until I fly out? No I wont have a wand like Gandalf but I will have a stick, which after 3 weeks on my own on Stewart Island will I'm sure have magic powers and be able to transport me to anywhere I want to be.

Icy said...

You *think* it will have magical powers? Hmm, not convincing me here. So, can I call you Gandalf from now on? Or Gandie? lol

Nayboogie said...

so you're gonna grow your beard then Pops?? How about a big manly 'staff' rather than a wand . . . . .

Icy said...

No, he needs to start of small. I think he'd poke himself in the eye with a staff. (I am sure I will get a phone call very shortly about this) haha

eric said...

I dont need to say much here Naomi, and Icy are saying it all. I do hope to be able to source a good stick on Stewart Island and then bring it north with me. I am thinking about the beard thing. Have major hiccup at moment, my blog doesn't recognise me as the owner so I cant do any more posts for now.